Since 2005, Swan Valley High School has required that each graduate complete community service in order to earn a Swan Valley High School diploma. Community service is defined as unpaid service that is performed outside of the school day for the benefit of another individual or organization within the community. Students are required to complete 50 hours.
Please click here for the complete Community Service Graduation Requirements.
Please click here for the Community Service Reporting Form.
Approved Community Service Opportunities
• Church or civic organizations (Kiwanis, American Legion, Habitat for Humanity, etc.)
• Boy Scouts/Girls Scouts
• Relay for Life
• Red Cross/American Heart Association/American Cancer Society/Leukemia Foundation and similar organizations
• Children’s Museum
• Senior Citizens Centers (Swan Haven, Hoyt, St. Francis etc.)
• Tutoring (signed by school official at site) – if home tutoring, must be pre-approved.
• Soup kitchen, food pantry, thrift shops
• School experiences (any elementary, middle or high school experience signed by teachers, coaches, or principal).
• Assistance for a governmental unit (i.e Thomas Township, city, county offices)
• Sports camps
• Habitat for Humanity
• Assistance for high school programs that student is not a member of
• Saginaw Arson Watch
• Special Olympics (if outside of the school day)
• Alex’s Lemonade Stand
Any others not listed here need to be pre-approved by Swan Valley principal or counselor (most typically unpaid baby sitting, yard work, etc.)
NOTE: This community service is limited to 20 hours or less.
Community service hours earned prior to June 8, 2009 are “grandfathered” and will be accepted under former community service restrictions.